Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas

It is hard to believe that an entire year has passed since I sat down to write last year's Christmas letter. Time really has a way of getting away from us! Looking back over the events of this year, it seems as if some of them were only yesterday.
January
This was a big month for Noah. He turned five years old, lost his first tooth, and experienced his first ER trip due to a scary case of croup.
February
Joe and I found ourselves outnumbered as we finally welcomed Micah Joseph Givens into our family. He came to us weighing 9 lbs. 3 oz. and was 20 inches long.
March
A month of adjustment as we all tried to figure out our new "normal" and I recovered from my c-section. Micah gave us his first real smile and Jonah got his first haircut.
April
Oops, a bump in the road. Just when we thought we were getting the hang of things, Joe had to take me to the ER on Easter Sunday and I spent five days in the hospital with an infection. Joe and I celebrated our sixth anniversary with me being released from the hospital. Many thanks go to our families for stepping up and taking over for us.
May
Busy, busy, busy! Trying to make up for lost time we packed a lot of activities into this month. We picked berries, visited the Great Swamp Sanctuary, celebrated Joe's 33rd birthday, and started fencing in our backyard. We also welcomed our newest addition to the family, a black and white bunny named Spotter Bunny Givens.
June
Noah overcame his fear of heights and started sleeping on the top bunk. I began praying that Jonah would develop a fear of heights and would stop trying to be an acrobat. We seriously considered putting him in body armor! My birthday fell on Father's Day, so Joe and I shared our special day.
July
Another busy month. Micah cut his first two teeth, started rolling, and ate his first bite of solid food (mashed banana). We spent July fourth down at the river enjoying family. Joe and I decided that we would send Noah to Kindergarten outside of the home, so Noah and I toured schools and finally decided on Edgewood Baptist Preschool. All of the boys enjoyed Veggie Tales Bible School at church.
August
We spent a lot of time at the beach, trying to stay cool. Jonah started sleeping in his big boy bed. At five years old, Noah experienced his first trip to a mall to do school shopping. This just shows how far out in the sticks we really do live!
September
Jonah really started verbalizing more and was not shy about talking! Noah started his first day of Kindergarten and LOVED it. I settled into a good routine of spending time alone with Jonah and Micah in the mornings and then getting them down for naps when Noah came home around twelve so that he and I could spend time together.
October
Micah's top two teeth came in and he started crawling. We had a birthday party for our now two year old Jonah. As a family, we enjoyed several Harvest festivals and antique tractor shows. The boys dressed as the three blind mice for Halloween. Joe was the farmer and I was the farmer's wife. We won first place in the group category at our church harvest costume contest.
November
I learned that baby oil gets sweet tart chews out of a toddler's hair. Jonah learned not to go to sleep with a sweet tart chew in his hand. Micah learned how to pull up to a standing position. We all learned how important it is to give to others and were thankful that we were able to do so.
December
This month we are focusing on the true meaning of Christmas and celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

The Book of Luke tells us of the Christmas story beginning with; and it came to pass. I have taken that phrase to heart this year. This too shall pass...and so I am going to enjoy every minute while I can.
There will come a time when these crazy days of raising a family have passed and all I will be left with are the memories of these days. Because of that knowledge, I am trying to cherish every moment we have together and store up plenty of memories to keep me company for when "this too has passed." May you also use this Christmas season and coming New Year to create cherished memories with those that you love.

Merry Christmas from our family to yours!
Joe, Denise, Noah, Jonah, and Micah Givens

1 comment:

**TRACY** said...

I enjoyed this. Neat idea. Hope you don't mind. I stole it for my blog.