Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Live Nativity

Joe and I took the boys to see a live nativity tonight. Small children and live animals...what could be better? The performance was great, but the animals sure were uncooperative! Of course the runaway sheep and the wandering donkey were the parts that the kids liked the best.
I found myself thinking of all the nativity scenes I have ever looked at. Most of them portray the animals as calm, quiet creatures just looking on at the miracle unfolding before them. Tonight's animals were certainly not the calm ones I had always imagined. Sure, tonight the animals may have just been frightened by all of the lights, noises, and people around; but then how much more so would the animals at the First Christmas have been frightened by the strangers in their stable and the heavenly hosts of angels singing praises? Perhaps God calmed the animals that night, maybe not. I guess we will never know this side of Heaven, but tonight sure gave me a different perspective on what it may have been like that night so many years ago when the Savior of the world was born.

No comments: