Sunday, May 17, 2009

Waste Not Want Not

Okay, so I am in a predicament. I am really cheap thrifty and I hate to see anything go to waste. We have tons of blackberries all over our property and we have been picking them like crazy, but just can't get them all. We have SO many this year. We eat fresh blackberries for snack and blackberry pie or blackberries and dumplings for dessert. That said, there are only so many berries that two boys and a Momma can eat!
I saw that Reid's has blackberries on sale this week. Can you believe that the "sale" price of blackberries is $2.25 per half pint? A half pint is not even enough for Jonah's morning snack! I have a gold mine in my backyard. I am sure that we have picked several gallons already and there are still more out there. My large seedless blackberry bushes are just starting to blossom, so there are many many more to come.
What to do? I don't have time to pick them all, (you know with raising three kids and all that) yet I don't want strangers in my backyard. Even if I did get them all picked, I have no idea what to do with them. Any ideas?

7 comments:

grammyjoan said...

I believe you can just put them in freezer bags and stick them in the freezer (don't wash them). I'll help pick if you run the snakes out first!!!!

butterbean_girl said...

I'm thinking roadside stand! I know, I know, you don't have time to pick them much less sit beside the road and try to sell them. How about blackberry jam or jelly! I think the Sure Jell box has a recipe inside that is really easy. I use Sure Jell to make strawberry and grape jam. Maybe Mrs. Peggy would let you put some for sale in her restaurant.

Melissa said...

Pick as many as you can and freeze them. Maybe you could pay a young kid (maybe even Noah? or someone pre-teen) to pick, and then you can sell them. :) Advertise on craigslist for free, or put something in the classifieds. Even a roadside sign (depending on where you live).
I'd be over there in a heartbeat if I lived near! We pick at a church member's house. Last year we got drove away by muddobbers that had made their nests in the patch. Yikes!! It is a really overgrown patch that goes about 10 feet high.

Denise said...

Great ideas everyone! Now if it would just stop raining long enough, I could start picking again.
BTW Why can't I wash them before freezing?

butterbean_girl said...

Mrs. Joan would be the expert on that topic but I think they will stick together so bad and form one big block of ice if they get wet before you freeze them. That's what happened to me with blueberries one time when I washed them before putting them in the freezer.

butterbean_girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
grammyjoan said...

You're right Marsha, or at least that is what I have been told in the past.