Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dixie Jane

HELP! We went out hunting for blackberries again this afternoon and took Dixie Jane with us. We were letting her run free, without a leash and I think she got bit by a snake! As you can see in the picture, there is a huge lump on her neck. Other than the lump she is jumping around and is acting like nothing is wrong. Joe says there is no need to rush her to the vet after hours (which is exactly what I was attempting to do until he stopped me). He said that dogs will swell like that when they get bitten by something but that she will be okay. I'm not sure that I believe him.
Right now I have relented to watching her close and taking her to the vet in the morning if the lump has not decreased in size. Should I be doing something else???? I know that getting rid of the snakes would be a logical preventative step, but so far those efforts have proved futile. They are EVERYWHERE and it is driving me insane.

1 comment:

butterbean_girl said...

Poor girl. She still looks happy in the picture. Bandit got bit by a snake one time. We didn't see it but we're pretty sure it was poisonous. It bit her on the mouth and within a few minutes her bottom lip was swollen and hanging down past her collar! Now that called for an emergency call to Dr. Mark! He gave her some high powered medicine and she was ok within a few days.
Hope she will be ok. The joys of living back in the woods!