Thursday, May 21, 2009

Great Swamp Sanctuary

Yesterday was a beautiful and glorious day, so I took the boys for a hike in the Great Swamp Sanctuary. I figured we needed to enjoy it now before my Dad gets elected to city council next week and convinces the citizens of Walterboro to bulldoze the swamp and turn it into some sort of economic/commerce park. (Just Kidding Dad!)
Seriously though, the boys and I enjoyed ourselves on our nearly four mile trek, but I really don't see what is so special about the area that would draw in 'thousands' of tourists. I have always thought the swamp to be beautiful (and yesterday it was) but as a place to view wildlife it sort of stinks. We saw a few turtles and birds, one frog, a salamander, and fifteen million mosquitoes. We see more of a variety than that in our backyard every afternoon.
Speaking of our backyard, we have some major changes happening there as well, but I will save that for another post!

1 comment:

grammyjoan said...

I guess it's hard to impress us country folk with City critters!