Friday, March 20, 2009

Where There Is Smoke...

...There is USUALLY fire. However, in my case smoke does not always equal fire. Joe and I had many "lively" discussions about whether or not to include a fireplace when we were planning our new house. We finally decided to include a wood burning fireplace and then plan to convert it to gas logs when Joe decides that he is too old to chop wood anymore. Little did I know at the time what a horrible fire builder I was. We always joke that there is no need to worry about me ever accidentally burning down the house because I can't even get a fire to burn on purpose. I just can not seem to get that fire to burn! Joe will sometimes call me from about a mile away on his way home from work and ask how long I have been trying to get the fire to start. He will know that I have been trying from the thick black smoke rising from the vicinity of our home. I get plenty of smoke, not much fire, and no heat at all. I can't tell you how much of a failure I feel like every time he walks in and pokes at my non-burning stack of sticks and in no time turns them into a roaring blaze that warms the house in just a few minutes. It makes me long for the day that I will get my gas logs complete with remote control.
Today was another story all together! The was a bit of a chill in the house this morning, so I decided to light a fire. Much to my suprise, it actually worked. It is now so hot in the house that I may have to turn on the air. My kids have stripped down to their underwear trying to cool off. I hope Joe gets home early so that I can show off my handiwork. Anyway, I know most of you think this is of no importance, but I am so proud of myself I could burst!

1 comment:

butterbean_girl said...

I know how you feel. I could never get a fire to burn for very long in Momma and Daddy's fireplace. It is very nice now be able to light a fire with the click of a remote but there sure is nothing like the smell or sound of a wood burning fireplace!