Monday, March 23, 2009

Sleeping Babies

Watching your baby sleep has to be one of the greatest things on earth. Around two thirty this morning, after Micah had finished nursing, I just sat there in our chair holding him and looking into his eyes. I know that I should have put him down in his bassinet and let him go to sleep on his own. I also know that on the nights when he refuses to go to sleep unless I am holding him, I will be kicking myself for those nights when I did not put him down. On the other hand, there is something magical that happens just as a baby falls asleep. Watching him last night as his eyes would drift close and then pop back open (like he was checking to be sure I was still there) was like watching a miracle. Micah is such a cute sleeper. He makes faces in his sleep, both smiling and frowning at times. Sometimes his little legs start going like he is going to take off and run somewhere.
Last night I could not stop asking how we could have possibly been so blessed to have three beautiful healthy children. Watching Micah sleep once again humbled me to the great responsibility God has trusted us with. It seems like I am rambling, but I can't seem to find the words to express how grateful I am for our children, especially when there are those out there that have children who are struggling with health or other issues. It puts me on my knees in prayer for those who don't get the opportunity to have these moments.

No comments: