Monday, May 19, 2008

Busy Busy Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind of activity. My step-brother Michael travels the NASCAR circuit working for Sprint. This weekend was the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race in Charlotte, NC. He was able to get tickets for Joe, Mr. Jimmie, and Noah to attend with him. Saturday morning Joe, Noah, Jonah, and I headed out to the Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte, about 200 miles away. We met Mom, Mr. Jimmie, and Michael at the motel about 2:30 Saturday afternoon, just in time for the guys to change into "official" NASCAR shirts and hats, grab their tickets, get a quick picture, and head to the track.From all accounts, they had a great time. Michael was even able to get them each a NASCAR Sprint FanView. This allowed them to hear in-car audio, real-time stats, and view live race video on a hand held screen. I know all of this because it is all Joe has talked about since the race. Of course Noah's favorite moments were the fireworks and watching the crash. He even bought a truck that hauls race cars. The guys came back from the race about 10:30 and we finished watching it on television. Mom, Jonah, and I hit the indoor pool and spa while the guys were at the race. This was Jonah's first time in a pool. It only took a little while for him to learn how to splash and get a big reaction from Mommy.Jonah, Noah, and I had another swim in the pool Sunday morning while Joe packed up the car. On the way home from Charlotte, we were going right though Columbia so we decided to take the boys to Riverbanks Zoo. We had a picnic lunch and then toured the zoo for about three hours. Jonah slept in his snuggli on my back for the majority of the time. Noah seemed really fascinated with the snakes and other creepy crawly things. I guess that is all a part of raising boys. The giraffes were my favorite, and I think Joe could have stood at the elephant exhibit for hours. I wish we didn't live almost two hours away from the zoo. I think I would have the kids there every week!

We got home about 5:30 Sunday evening. Everyone was exhausted from the hectic weekend, but pleased with the memories we created. Many thanks to Michael for making it possible! He will be in our prayers as he travels to the Pocono Raceway to prepare for the race this weekend.

4 comments:

grammyjoan said...

What a great way to make memories in the minds of these boys, both big and small! I sure did enjoy making mine from the sidelines this time!

Holly and Tj said...

sounds like a really fun weekend! Makes me wish we lived closer so we could join in the fun!

TN Crew said...

I had a great time as well. I'm usually busy working while the race is going on, but this time I got to enjoy hanging with the family. Love you all!! Mike.

Celeste said...

I think with Tres' obsession with his rattle and bedtime friend that he would like the Giraffes as well. Though as much as he bounces around, he might like the monkeys too. He could probably fit in nicely. hehe