Sunday, June 1, 2008

Snakes, Snakes, And More Snakes!

Two weeks ago Joe killed a big rattlesnake by the pond out back. Last week he killed another one on the path that leads from our house back to his shop. They creep me out, but at least I know that those two won't be bothering me anymore. My concern now is the snake that is living in my Shopper box.
The Shopper (a weekly sales paper) is delivered to a plastic mailbox without a door that is mounted a few feet from the real mailbox. For weeks now I have refused to get the Shopper out of the box because I saw what I thought was the beginning of a bird nest inside the box at the back. For those of you who aren't aware, I sort of have a small bird phobia. I just knew that if I pulled up to that box and rolled down my car window to grab the Shopper, a bird would come flying out of the box and into my car causing me to first pee my pants and then suffer cardiac arrest while the bird flew around trying to peck out my eyes and the eyes of my children.
Joe finally got tired of me asking him to go get the Shopper for me and decided to remove the nest. What he discovered was a nest of some sort along with a very large newly shed snake skin. My skin wants to crawl off just typing those words. So for now, though the threat of a bird is gone, I still will not be getting the Shopper out of the box. Right now I don't even want a Shopper box!
For as long as we have lived here, we have never had a problem with snakes. Now it seems as if they are everywhere. I think it has to do with the fact that the goats in the field next to us have been replaced with cattle. I have heard that snakes will not come near goats for fear of getting stomped. Maybe I should get a goat...that's an idea I have been playing with for a while now anyway, but I'll leave that for another blog.

2 comments:

Terry said...

Denise,
I so enjoy reading your family blog. There is nothing like family--enjoy every moment you have with those little ones. I know you do so much with them and they are very fortunate to have you as their mommy. We will be praying for you and Joe as you decide what to do and as you continue being the parents God would have you to be. Remember that God is still in control and there is nothing that He can not handle--including our high gas prices!!!!! You are both such a good example of what a Christian home should be like. I love you.
Love,
Aunt Terry

butterbean_girl said...

I had a bird nest in my shopper box as well. One day a bird did come flying out at me. I did not go into cardiac arrest but it did make me give out a little shout! One day, after the baby birds were all grown up and had left the nest, the nest disappeared. I think the shopper lady got tired of looking at it.