Saturday, April 5, 2008

Ozious And The Auction

Many people have asked me where I came up with Jonah's middle name. He is named after my grandfather. I decided to use the name Ozious because I wanted to remember my grandfather in a special way. My grandfather loved to go to the auction. He would drive my grandmother crazy on Saturdays when he came home with a load of treasures! He and my grandmother were wonderful people who raised an amazing family. However, when I look at the family, I tend to see my grandmother's legacy more than my grandfather's, but I have finally found a small part of the legacy that my grandfather left behind.
Tonight we went to Claxton's Auction at Bells. They have one every Saturday. Joe and I go almost every weekend with the boys. It is mostly small yard sale items and tools. Tonight, four of my grandparent's seven children were there along with many of the grandchildren. I could definitely see that my grandfather had passed on the love of auctioning to his family. It was so funny to watch them go after each other trying to get a great deal. Last week I watched my Uncle carry on a conversation with the man next to him all the while listening to the auctioneer, and bidding just in time to win the item he had his eye on. I guess he truly did learn from the best.
I miss my grandparents. It is nights like these that I remember them vividly and wish that my children could have known them. I can only pray that they will grow up experiencing my grandparents as I did tonight, through the legacy they left behind in their children.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

I would have loved to have meant them both. The stories I hear are hilarious. Your grandmother laughing everytime someone got hurt. Your grandaddy being a pack rat, and wanting all sorts of treasures that everyone else considered junk. Apparently I have the same problem.

Holly and Tj said...

I will always remember Mr Dantzler sitting outside the store with all the old men. We went every Friday until the store closed down. He gave me a hot sausage one time. He knew how to make a sale because every time I went after that, I had to buy one, I was hooked.