Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Top Bunk Drama

As much as Jonah loves to climb to the highest spot possible, Noah is terrified of heights. Noah climbs up just fine, but when he gets to the top of something, he freezes and can not come down. He has a mental fear, but it causes a real physical reaction. His whole body starts to shake and I think he is on the verge of hyperventilating. I always feel bad watching him on playgrounds because he will never climb anything higher than two steps. Just an example of how bad it is; When he has a doctor's visit, he is more worried about getting down from the examination table than anything else.
Noah and Jonah's rooms are connected with a Jack and Jill bathroom. Noah's room has bunk beds and Jonah's room houses the crib. Micah is still in the bassinet in the master bedroom. The original plan (when Micah outgrows the bassinet) was to move Noah and Jonah in together (Noah on top and Jonah on bottom), and put Micah in the crib in Jonah's old room. We were beginning to think that would never work. Noah got to the point that he could climb to his top bunk, but still could not get down. There were times when I was pregnant that he would get up there and be too afraid to get down by himself. I could NOT lift an eighty pound child down from the top bunk, so he would literally have to sit up there until Joe came home from work. It is amazing that we never had any bathroom emergencies during that time...but I digress. Jonah would have been glad to take the top bunk, but I am not comfortable with putting a nineteen month old on the top bunk. Can you imagine me trying to explain that one at the ER in the middle of the night? Our other option was to put each boy in his own room, since we have a beautifully decorated spare bedroom junk room and bath on the far end of the house. However, I really wanted to have all of the kids together.
Anyway, all of that to say this...Noah decided on his own that he was old enough to conquer this fear and climbed up to his top bunk and started cleaning it off throwing everything (jackets, blankets, toys) off and all over his room. He even climbed down all by himself. He was SO proud! Last night he begged us to let him sleep up there. We relented and he did great!
I will probably wait to move Jonah until a couple of weeks before we move Micah. Right now it looks like we have a couple of months before we have to move Micah, but phase one of our plan is in effect!

2 comments:

grammyjoan said...

It was so good to see how proud Noah was of himself and this accomplishment! I completely understand his fear of heights. I wish Jonah had just a touch of that fear!

butterbean_girl said...

I hate sleeping on bunk beds! If I sleep on the top I feel like I'm suffocating because the ceiling is so close to me and I'm scared I will fall off in the middle of the night. If I sleep on the bottom I feel like I'm suffocating because of the top bunk and if someone is on the top I'm scared the top bunk will collapse and I will be smashed underneath. Don't tell Noah all of that, but I can relate to him in a way.