Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Customer Service

I usually have the worst luck when dealing with customer service. Actually I think it has less to do with my bad luck and more to do with the general lack of competence in today's workforce, but that is a topic for a whole other post.
I was having problems with my Internet connection, so I called the ISP 24 hour help desk. The gentleman on the other end of the line tried everything he knew to get my Internet working but to no avail. After an hour of trying, he told me he was going to have to send in a work order for someone to come out and check the connection. I left the computer up and went about my day as usual.
Less than 20 minutes later, the phone rang. It was the local service center wanting to set up a time to come out. I was shocked they had responded so quickly. He asked me exactly what error I was getting when I tried to connect, but when I went to the computer and tried, the Internet came right up! I did nothing different and we could not figure out why it had started working, but he gave me a local number to call if I had any more problems and hung up.
About an hour later, I got another phone call. The local service center was calling again to try and fix my Internet. I thanked them but explained that it was working and I did not need anyone to come out. Twice more before lunch they called and twice more I explained that I REALLY DID NOT NEED ASSISTANCE! I figured they had gotten the idea when the calls finally ceased.
I had just gotten Jonah down for his afternoon nap when I heard a knock at the door. When I opened the door, I could not believe my eyes. There on my steps was a repairman from the service center. He said, "I'm from PRTC. I was in the area and we received a work order to fix your Internet." I wanted to scream. I mean really, why is it that they are at my beck and call when they AREN'T needed??

1 comment:

Holly and Tj said...

That is great and typical!