Thursday, December 3, 2009

Jonah

Today I met with Jonah's allergist for our consultation. I am a little frustrated right now because I came home with bad news, good news, and no news.
First the bad news. Jonah's egg allergy is as bad or maybe even worse than it ever was. To sum it up, we were sent home with two EPI pens and told to keep them with him at all times. The nut allergy was very minimal, but since Jonah seems predisposed to developing allergies, we are to keep him away from all nuts (guess that cuts out all those family reunions for a while! LOL!!) as well as shellfish for at least one more year.
Now the good news. There is still a possibility that Jonah will outgrow his egg allergy and Jonah is NOT allergic to milk. We can start giving him milk products again immediately. He actually had chocolate milk and cheese tonight. (Not together of course!) He is only allergic to one inhalant, some type of mold that the Dr. said not to even worry about. The Dr. also figured out the crazy discoloration on Jonah's skin. It actually has nothing to do with his severe eczema, but is a genetic disorder called Linear and Whorled Nevoid Hypermelanosis. He will never get over this and will always have "spotted skin" but that is the least of our worries. His "spots" make him special and I love every one of them.
So that is the good and bad news, but basically it leaves us with no news. We have been avoiding all of his known allergens and he still is no better than before. He is still having multiple bouts of diarrhea a week and is digging at his flaky, itchy skin until he is making himself bleed. The doctor is giving him one more round of yet another antibiotic to try and heal his skin, but to be honest, I really do not think it is going to work. I hope I am wrong, and I am willing to try anything...but I am still discouraged. I just want him to feel better and to not hurt so much.
My mind knows that it could be much worse. I could be sitting in a hospital with him or not even have him at all. But while my mind knows that, my Mother's heart just wants him to have the best life possible and wants to "fix" him. Please continue to pray for us as we continue to seek out answers.

No comments: