Thursday, October 22, 2009

Jonah Ozious Givens

I can hardly believe that you are two years old today. You did so much during your first year of life and continued to have new experiences your second year as well.
You started walking, got your first haircut, enjoyed your first taste of strawberries, and learned to put yourself to sleep in your big boy bed. Your biggest change this year was going from being the baby to being a big brother, and what a great big brother you are!

I am struggling to write this, because to be honest...you are my challenge. Your allergies, skin issues, and even your middle child personality quirks keep me on my toes constantly. Sometimes I feel like I am failing you because I can't "fix" you or even understand how to help you. I wish that I could snap my fingers and have you never hurt again, to have your skin stop peeling off, and eat a normal meal without a reaction.

Then again, I love you for your challenges. Because of you I know that ranch dressing contains eggs, I know that it is possible to puke out more than went in, and I know that some kids really do poop six times every day. You have made me stretch far out of my comfort zone. You have taught me to trust my gut. You have given me the strength to stand up to a doctor who wants to dismiss your symptoms. You have taught me exactly how long I can go without sleep and how strong my back muscles truly are.

Your spirit of determination shines through in everything that you do. I pray that you keep that as you go through life. I have never seen you "give up" when something was too hard and you remind me every day to just keep trying.

I have learned that your smile melts my heart and your laughter makes my day. I love you more than you will ever know. Happy Birthday!!!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Precious!

grammyjoan said...

Why do you insist on making people cry?????
Jonah has definitely been an education for us all. I wouldn't trade one second of it for all the world. He is a blessing from God, just like Noah and Micah. Happy Birthday Sweetie!

Holly and Tj said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONAH! WE LOVE YOU!