Thursday, December 31, 2009

Come On In 2010!

I am so glad that tomorrow is a brand new day and the start of a new year. The last day of 2009 sure has not gone quite the way I planned.

To start off with, Micah did not fall asleep until 2:30 this morning. Today was my work outside the home day and I was supposed to get up at 5:00 so that I could get everything packed and everyone dressed to be out the door by 7:15. Somehow, the alarm did not get set after Joe left for work at 3:30, and I woke up at 7:02! Thirteen minutes is simply not enough time to pack lunches, nurse Micah, fix bottles, shower, dress three children, give everyone their meds, dress myself, and get supper in the crock pot. I finished up and walked out the door at 8:00, only forty-five minutes late. I called my boss on the way to the sitter and left a message saying that I would be in a little later than usual. When I got to the sitter, she met me at the door saying that her child was sick with a fever and she thought he had the flu. LOVELY!

I gave up on work for the day, packed all of the kids back into the car and headed home. Both Noah and Jonah were upset that they did not get to play at the sitter's house, so they were not in the best of moods. During Jonah's nap time, Noah and I experimented tried out a new recipe that turned into a disaster. Not only did we waste perfectly good ingredients, I ended up with chocolate strung from one end of the kitchen to the other.

After Joe came in from work, things calmed down a bit. We went to my Grandmother's house to have supper (my crockpot chili from this morning) and shoot fireworks. By the time we got home it was time for bedtime routines and once again meds all around. The kids have been sick for some time now. It seems as soon as they get over something, they come down with something else. I am dispensing thirteen prescription medicines among my three children twice a day.

I was telling Joe that I don't know how I have managed to keep all of the kid's medicines straight for the past few weeks when I realized that I had just given Noah one of his medicines twice. Not only had I given it to him twice, but I had given him double the dosage amount each time. This meant that my child had just ingested four times the amount of medicine that he was supposed to have.

1-800-922-1117
Does anyone recognize that number? It is the poison control hotline. I memorized it when Noah was a baby after he drank a bottle of formula mixed with Christmas tree preservatives. (Long story for another time!) Anyway, I spoke with a very nice lady who took all of my information and told me that Noah would be just fine. He just needed to drink plenty of clear liquids to dilute the meds in his system. I gave him one glass of juice and three glasses of water. Did I mention that I give meds at bedtime? I am assuming that I will be changing sheets in the morning.

So the last day of 2009 has definitely not been my best. Come on in 2010...it can only go up from here!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Denise! You had me LOL about the sheets.
No one can ever say that you have had a boring life. :)

grammyjoan said...

And this too shall pass........ I know that's a hard thing to hear after you day, but the sun will come out again!
Just have to love those boys, they wouldn't want you to spend a single minute being bored!