Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Time Caspule

This morning as I was hurrying the kids through breakfast I checked my calendar to see what the day looked like and was reminded that it was leap year day.  I tried to remember what I had done last leap year day but since I can't even remember what I did last week, there really was no use wasting time on that.  Since looking back wasn't doing any good, I thought about when the next leap year day would be.   I was shocked to realize that by the time leap year rolls around again, my first born will be on the verge of being a teenager and the little baby that is attached to me 24/7 will be getting ready for Kindergarten. 

Aaaack!  Where does the time go?  It is like that saying that the days are long, but the years are short.  Some days (especially when Joe is on the road) it feels like bedtime will never get here, but then I look at my growing children and wonder where the time has gone.

In four years will I even remember the hectic crazy days of homeschooling a second grader, entertaining two preschoolers, caring for an infant, and running a small business?  I would like to think so, but since I can't even remember last week...

Anyway, I decided that instead of making a styrofoam frog for leap year, I would spend that time with each of my children asking questions to be put into a "time capsule" to be opened next leap year day.  Here are some of the questions I asked:
How old are you?
What is your favorite color?
If you could spend one day doing anything you wanted, what would it be?
Who would you spend it with?
Where is your favorite place?
What do you think you will be like in four years?
What is important to you today?

If you have never asked your children any of these questions, I would advise you to do so.  I was amazed at their answers.  Even Micah (three this week) was very sure of what he wanted to say!  I let the older boys answer for Ezrah, but I have four boys here that think they are going to be just like their Daddy in four years. 

The boys also helped me fill out my own questionnaire. When we got to the "What do you think you will be like in four years?"  Noah piped up and said, "Well, I think you should be nicer."  I couldn't help but laugh.  It is such a Noah thing to say, and I think that it proves I am doing something right if my kids realize that I can't be "nice" all of the time.


So that was our leap year day activity.  We just have to wait for Daddy to get home and fill out his questionnaire, then put the whole packet on the top shelf of the closet to pull out on 2-29-2016...if I can remember it...do you think there is an app for that?

2 comments:

Holly and Tj said...

That was such an awesome idea! I would love to see what their answers were!

Denise said...

Holly, you will have to plan to be here on 2-29-16 and open it with us!