Friday, February 17, 2012

Surplus

I have already mentioned that we have been going through a tough time lately.  We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but financially things were probably as close to being as bad as they have ever been.  It took everything we had just to keep our business afloat.  Small business ownership is not fun at times.  Not only was our family depending on the success of our business, we had drivers and their families depending upon it as well.  In order to keep our business in operation, we chose to put fuel in the trucks rather than a paycheck in our pocket.  It was stressful.  It was hard.  It made me cry. 

It is also was one of the best experiences I have ever had. 

Until Valentines day I had not stepped foot into a store this YEAR, except for when I went to purchase a gift for Noah's birthday.  That is right, we went for nearly 45 days without buying groceries, household supplies, or anything else.  I learned over the past few weeks that we can survive on so much less than what we use.  I planned my meals from only what I had in the pantry and freezer, and while they both were looking quite a bit barer by last week, we could have certainly gone longer if I had just been a little more creative!  My Mom brought over a few things for the kids (hot-dogs, bologna, and fresh fruit occasionally) and while I am grateful that she did, we were fine without it.  What I am most grateful for is the resourcefulness that she taught me growing up.  She taught me not to be wasteful and to use what I had.  I feel so blessed to have had parents and grandparents who instilled in me a good work ethic and taught me skills that I need in order to make it through the tough times.

It would have been relatively easy for me to apply for government assistance during this time.  I am sure that right now we would still qualify, but if I don't HAVE to have it, I refuse to use it...and right now we don't HAVE to have it.  When things got tight I pulled out the cloth diapers, canned tomatoes, and dried beans.  My family has had healthy meals on the table every day.  Actually the meals have been healthier than when I was getting to the store every week and buying the foods that they want but are not necessarily good for them. 

Now I am not writing this for people to send us food, money, or to even feel sorry for us.  I am writing it because I am amazed at the surplus that I did not even realize existed in my own home.  Once my eyes were opened to it, I began looking at the surplus all around.  We as Americans have become fat and lazy.  We are used to having the best and most of everything.  When times are hard, we still want what we are accustomed to getting instead of tightening our belt and adjusting our lifestyle.

I pray that I am able to keep my children grounded as my parents did for me.  I pray that they will always find ways to adjust to the circumstances life throws at them without sitting back and expecting someone or some government agency to step in and provide a lifestyle for them based on what they think they need.  I have found these past few weeks that what we think we need is just surplus that keeps us from seeing what is truly important.

No comments: