Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ronnie

I remember the month that Noah was born.  Joe and I had been married less than a year, were broke as could be, and found ourselves facing a mountain of unexpected bills and learning how to be parents all at the same time.  Needless to say it was a stressful time for both of us.  Toward the end of that month I found myself for the first (and so far only) time in my life writing a check to pay a bill that I knew would bounce as soon as it hit the bank unless a miracle happened.  Then that night as I sat there pouring over my check register praying that there was a mistake somewhere, I indeed found a mistake...only it was not the good kind of mistake.  Turns out our check was not going to bounce a little, but a lot!
That night is the first time I remember meeting Ronnie.  I was crying my eyes out and sick to my stomach when a car pulled into the yard.  Joe went out to see who it was and was gone for what I thought was a long time.  When I had gathered myself together I went out to see what was going on.  Turns out that Ronnie and Joe had done some trading or selling or whatever these guys do so frequently.  (I have yet to figure out if it is a trucker thing or just a redneck thing, but they swap and trade like nobody's business.)  I don't even remember what the object was that they were talking about but Ronnie pulled out a wad of money and said something like, "I know I owed you this from some time ago and thought I would bring it by"  Joe had forgotten about it and since it was from before Joe and I had gotten married, I didn't even know about the transaction.  Turns out it was just what we needed.  I asked Ronnie and Joe recently if they remembered that night and of course neither of them had any idea what I was talking about, but it is one of those moments that I will remember forever....the night that God provided by sending a truck driver named Ronnie.
Over the years Ronnie has been a fixture in our lives.  From him and Joe swapping tools or tires, helping each other out with mechanical stuff, and finally when Ronnie rescued Joe and I from Virginia (Do you remember my birthday trip gone bad?) and then started driving a truck for Little Joe's Trucking.  He and his family put up with lots of long hours.  Still, he was dedicated to the job before him.  When I underpaid him, (Yes, I know it is hard to believe but I sometimes I do make mistakes!) he patiently waited for me to sort it out and when I overpaid him, he was the first to point out the mistake and make sure that it got right.
When we had the fire at the shop last year, Ronnie just happened to call as everything was finally settling down.  I told him that everything was okay but that Joe would have to call him back later because he was with the firefighters.  Ronnie said that was fine and hung up the phone.  Before I knew it, he and his wife Tina were pulling into our driveway wanting to know what they could help with.  They did not ask if we needed them to come.  They did not say, "Call us if you need us."  They just showed up because they wanted to help whether we thought we needed them or not.  That showed more of their true character and meant more to both Joe and I than words could ever say.
Ronnie decided last week that it was time for a change.  It is a sad time for our family as he will be leaving Little Joe's trucking.  I am still trying to explain to the boys why "Uncle Ronnie's truck" is still on the yard.  It will take awhile before they associate that green Peterbilt with anything other than him!
However, with all of that said,  I believe that everything happens for a reason and in its own season.  We are grateful that God placed Ronnie and his family in our lives at the time that He did and wish him and his family all of the best in the future.  They have certainly been a blessing to us and I am sure they are going to be a blessing to many others as they seek another venture in life.

No comments: