Saturday, May 1, 2010

Embarrassment

I have been embarrassed many times in my life...mostly from my own doing. It had gotten to the point that I was so used to embarrassing things happening to me that I really didn't even get embarrassed anymore.



Then I had children.


To start off with, I worked this morning while Joe stayed home with the boys. Joe did not know how to wash the cloth diapers (isn't that convenient) so when I got home from work, I had to put them in paper diapers while we went to Wal-Mart. The kids are used to cloth now and do not wear paper except for emergencies. I say all of this because the only way I can explain what transpired today was that Jonah was wearing a different diaper and did not like the way it felt.

We were waiting in line to check out in (a very crowded) Wal-Mart with Jonah and Micah sitting in the cart when Jonah very loudly proclaimed..."I JUST PEEED!"

Me: Shhhhh! I will change you as soon as we get back to the car.
Jonah: MOMMA, I JUST PEEED!
Me: Shhhh!
Jonah: I SAID THAT I JUST PEEED!
Me: I know Jonah, lets try to be quiet and I will go change you.
Jonah: CHANGE ME NOW. I JUST PEEED!
Me: I can't change you now, we are in the middle of the check out line.
Jonah: CHANGE ME NOOOOWWWWW!!!!
Me: I can't.
Jonah: IT IS TOO TIGHT! I JUST PEED! CHANGE ME NOW!
(He now has his shorts down and is pulling at his diaper)
Me: Jonah sit down, your diaper is not too tight.
Jonah: MY PEE PEE IS GROWIN AND IT IS TOOOOO TIGHT!

Where did that come from? I was tempted to crawl under the candy rack. I can't begin to tell you the looks that I was getting. Of course as soon as I got him away from the crowds he forgot all about his diaper and was content to just sit in the cart with Micah.

It has been a LONG time since I have been that embarrassed. My dad says that a parent's goal should be to live long enough to embarrass their kids as much as their kids embarrass them. I think I am going to have to live a very long time to embarrass Jonah as much as he embarrassed me today. Then again, letting his first girlfriend (when the time comes) read this post just may do the trick.

3 comments:

grammyjoan said...

Remember how hard we have been working on teaching him how to talk????? That's usually where the trouble begins with them.
That is too funny and yes, it will be interesting to let them read your posts when they are older!

Melissa said...

Sorry, but that gave me a good laugh! Tony's nephew, at age 3, was going to the bathroom and my MIL was standing at the door waiting for him. He turns around and says, "Grandma", as serious as can be, "have you ever seen something so big?" LOL Little boys are little MEN!!!

**TRACY** said...

I'm crackin' up. Mine always have to stinky in restaurants, and they announce this loudly and repeatedly, even at 5 years old.