Thursday, May 6, 2010

Catching Frogs

My boys are all boy. They tend to catch all things slimy, scaly, furry, and wiggly. I usually tolerate it very well (except for chickens and snakes) and allow them to experiment to their heart's delight. My only rule is that they do not kill anything that can not harm them. My boys know that while we may play with all types of creatures and may accidentally love some of them to death, we never purposely harm an animal just for the sake of harming.
Today was my work outside the home day and when I got to the sitter's house to pick up the boys, Noah was upset. I could tell he was trying not to cry but he did not want to talk about what was wrong. It took a while before he finally opened up to me.

Me: Noah, can you tell me what is wrong?
Noah: (Sniff) Well, I was trying to catch a frog.
Me: (Thinking that maybe babysitter Aunt Dea is not as tolerant of creepy crawlies as I am.) Did Aunt Dea tell you that you had to stop?
Noah: No 'Mam.
Me: Then what happened? Could you not catch him?
Noah: (Sniff Sniff) No 'Mam, he wasn't fast enough.
Me: (very confused now) What? Don't you mean that you were not fast enough?
Noah: (crying now) No Momma! He was not fast enough!
Me: Noah, I am trying to understand. Tell me again what happened.
Noah: Well, I was trying to catch a frog and he was not fast enough....and he did not move out of the way when I was chasing him, and my big foot squashed his guts out!
Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Noah: (thoroughly insulted) MOMMA!!!

Yes I am that mother that laughs at her child's distress. It was so far from what I was thinking that I could not help but to laugh. After a while Noah thought that it was pretty funny too and we both got a good laugh. Admit it...you laughed too.

1 comment:

grammyjoan said...

I am so glad Noah shows such compassion, even for a frog! Gotta love him!