Sunday, April 17, 2011

Got Grass?

Potty training a boy is such an interesting experience.  Jonah has really taken to wearing big boy underwear and is doing great.  He is even staying dry through the night.  He LOVES to pee outside and the first thing he usually does when he wakes up is to run out the back door and relieve himself...hey, whatever works!  Once he made up his mind to potty train it has been so easy. 
This past Friday was our first full day in town running errands since he had been out of diapers.  We were in town from about 10:00 that morning  until 4:30 that afternoon.  That meant that Jonah had to use public restrooms without the potty insert (for his tiny hiney) that we use at home.
I thought for sure that we were in trouble after the first two bathroom stops that we made.  Jonah told me he had to go, but when we got into the bathroom both times he just could not seem to pee.  Our third stop it was obvious that he really had to go, but once again he tried and said, "I just can't."  When I asked if running some water in the sink would help he said, "No 'Mam, I just need some grass!"
We finally found a small patch of grass behind Wendy's that I could shield him from the view of traffic and he could relieve himself.  My Grandmother thought it was horrible that he had to have grass in order to pee, but I told her it could have been worse.  He could have asked for a fire hydrant!

1 comment: