Thursday, January 20, 2011

Independence

Noah has finally mastered the art of tying his own shoes.  It has been a LONG time coming, and I was beginning to think that we were going to be shopping for velcro shoes until he was in college.  I am so proud of him for learning, and also relieved that I am now only responsible for tying six shoes instead of my usual eight.
However, I also can't help but feel a little sad as well. Everyday my children need me less and less.  For over seven years now my life has been consumed by the needs of my children and while I am sure that it will still be that way for many years to come, every milestone reminds me of the looming date in the future when they really don't need me at all.  I'm working myself out of a job!
What will I do with all my extra time when I no longer have to clip sixty extra finger and toe nails?  What will I do with all the extra space when I am no longer storing four seasons of clothes in every size?  What will I do with all the extra money I save on groceries?  Hmmm....that one may be kind of nice!
It just makes me think about life after kids.  I'm sure it will not be anything like life before kids.  While that was nice too, I didn't know how deep love really ran before I had kids.  Because of that love, my life has been changed forever...and I am so glad that it has!

No comments: