Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Harvest Fun

Sunday was our annual Harvest Fun day with the church.  Since we had been at the ER with Noah the night before due to an asthma attack, we missed the traditional trick-or-treating.  Although with as much fun as the kids had on Sunday, I do not think they even realized that they missed anything.
Noah picked this year's theme, which was the Three Billy Goats Gruff.  He was Big Billy Goat Gruff, Jonah was Middle Billy Goat Gruff, and Micah was Little Billy Goat Gruff.  Joe was the troll that lived under the bridge.  I was just the coordinator!  The kids were not into the costumes at all but did at least keep them on long enough to place in the costume contest.
Micah enjoyed his time with Grammy dancing during the cake walk.

He soon decided that cake walking was tough work and needed a break.

Jonah fell in love with the giant shark slide.

He slid over...

 and over...

and over again!

 Noah wasn't quite so brave as to tackle the giant shark slide, but he did let me paint his hair orange.

 I manned the hair painting booth, but my troll kept scaring off potential participants.  I think that instead of a troll he sort of looks like a Santa gone bad.
 It was a full day of sliding, painting, candy gathering, bingo playing, candy apple eating, pumpkin picking harvest fun!  We ended the day with an awesome hayride through the swamp.  I have come to love this time of year.  I love everything from the colors to the smells to the weather to the decorations...and especially the hot apple cider and cocoa.

This is the scarecrow that the boys and I made for art class a couple weeks ago.  I found a cute poem about a scarecrow named Patches whose patches told the salvation story.  The kids memorized the poem, we stuffed a scarecrow, and painted leather patches (man, cross, dove, tree, candle, and heart) to sew on his overalls.  I'm not sure how well you can see the patches but I thought they did a great job.

Now see that person? That was you when sin ruled your heart.
But Jesus died upon the cross to give you a new start.
His Spirit fills your heart with love and joy for all to see.
He gives you faith and helps it grow, strong as the strongest tree.
The light of Jesus shines in you.  Tell everyone you know!
God's given you eternal life because He loves you so!

1 comment:

grammyjoan said...

Everything was fun but I think I enjoyed watching Jonah fly down that slide best of all.
Love the scarecrow and poem, you need to leave it up until you decorate for Christmas.