Thursday, July 22, 2010

$47 Peace Of Mind

Micah has been trying to cut his one year molars for months now.  I thought I caught sight of one peeking through one day, but it disappeared the very next day.  Then he developed these nasty looking bruises on his gums that would not go away and they started swelling.
When we went to the Pediatrician for Micah's 15 month check-up, he noticed the swelling and bruising and suggested that we take him to see a dentist.  I had been concerned about his gums for some time, but after the pediatrician was concerned as well, I really got nervous!
The appointment was today, and I was terrified that they were going to have to cut his gums in order for his teeth to come through or that there was something wrong with his teeth.  Turns out he has Eruption Hematomas where his teeth should be coming in. It sounds much more serious than it really is!  They are perfectly normal and usually go away on their own.  Because of Micah's fair skin, his look a little worse than usual.  There is no need for any type of intervention at this point.  The dentist said that he thinks the teeth are just about to come through.  He wants to see him again if they have not broken the surface in six months.  We are praying that they come on in on their own before that time.
So today I basically paid a Doctor to tell me not to worry...and let me tell you, it was worth every penny!

No comments: