Friday, April 9, 2010

How Did You Get So Smart?

It seems like a lot of our teaching moments with Noah are while we are riding in a vehicle. I guess when you live as far out in the boondocks as we do you have to do a lot of driving. Anyway, the other day Joe and I were explaining to Noah the importance of observation. I tried to tell him that he always needs to listen to what is going on around him because one way that we learn new things is from other people's experiences.
For example, Joe does not have much in the way of a formal education, but he is one of the smartest men that I know. He can do or fix anything. A major part of his "education" was watching and listening.
That is the background, here is part of the conversation...

Me: Noah do you think your Daddy is smart?
Noah: Yes Mam!
Me: Now how do you think that he got so smart?


.....a long pause here....


Noah: By listening to YOU!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There you have it...from the mouths of babes. I'm telling you, that kid is a genius for sure! Of course Joe did not think that was the least bit funny. Perhaps he is not as smart as I thought he was. Needless to say I laughed so hard that I forgot all about the point I was trying to make. Oh well, I guess we will work on observation skills another day!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Love it!
L has been calling everyone a "genius" lately. She thinks it is an insult.