Saturday, July 25, 2009

First Foods

Micah had his first taste of food today. He will be five months old on Monday. Babies who are on their Mommy's milk typically do not need solids until six months of age, but really, who follows those parenting books anyway? They were probably written by people who don't even have children. Since Micah is a bit larger than your average baby, we decided to feed him a little bit sooner. It is actually about the same age that I started feeding both Noah and Jonah.
So Micah had about four baby spoons of mashed banana mixed with expressed milk. Yes I am one of those mothers who believes in making her own baby food. I have made my own baby food with all of my children. With Noah, I did it because it was cheaper and we were BROKE! (By the way, that is the same reason I originally breastfed.) When Jonah came along, I had seen the health benefits of extended (until one year of age) breastfeeding and making homemade baby food so I continued. It was also easier to control exactly what Jonah was getting in his food, so we could stay away from anything that was on his extensive (at that time) list of allergens. Since we get the majority of our fruits and veggies out of the garden, I know that they are chemical free and since I put them up myself, I know that they are minimally processed with no artificial preservatives. Tj and Holly gave me a magic bullet the first Christmas after Jonah was born and it made making baby food easier than ever.
Oops, kind of got off topic there for a minute! Micah was not so sure about the taste or texture of banana, but he did okay considering it was the very first time for anything other than milk. We will stick with banana for a few days to make sure he does not have any reaction to it and then move on to something else...maybe peas, or pears, or squash...the possibilities are endless, and I am guessing it will make for some very interesting diaper changes in the near future!

2 comments:

grammyjoan said...

"who follows those parenting books anyway" . Denise, I thought you wrote the books!!!
You know I love you!
I'm glad that Micah is enjoying his first food! I believe you making their food is why the boys still enjoy such a wide range of foods and hope that the same follows with Micah.

Holly and Tj said...

He can't be eating real food yet! We have missed his whole first stage of life already! That sucks!
Hopefully he won't have the issues poor Jonah had.