Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bountiful Blessings

I have said before how much I love living in the country. This summer we were blessed with a great garden and even better family and friends who let us harvest out of their gardens as well. We have eaten fresh veggies and fruit all summer long and even been able to put some up for winter. Since deer season is upon us, I decided to take this afternoon and organize my freezer to make room for meat. I did not realize how much we actually had been able to put up from the garden until I looked at it all together!

This is our bounty:
42 quarts of corn cut off the cob
17 quarts of field peas
16 quarts of green butter beans
3 quarts of speckled butter beans
9 quarts of string beans
6 quarts of squash (It was a bad year for squash)
9 quarts of pears
3 quarts of peaches
29 quarts of okra

Wow, right!!! I was feeling great about this and then I remembered that I put up canned goods in the pantry. I checked there and discovered 20 quarts of tomatoes, 4 quarts of hot peppers, 3 quarts of green beans, and 31 jars of jam. The boys and I had a great time making jam this summer. We made peach, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, and my favorite...cinnamon fig. We have enough apples in the kitchen to make some apple jam this week. I would say we are pretty well set for the winter.
I have to give a BIG thanks to my Mom who was my canning partner this year. It sure makes the work go so much faster when you have someone to share the load. THANKS MOM!!!

3 comments:

butterbean_girl said...

We like to put up stuff out of our garden too! (What the deer don't get first.) It feels good to be able to look into a full pantry and freezer. Next year I might have to get your recipes and instructions on the things you put up. I'm always interested in how other people put up their vegetables, etc. I'll probably have to call on Momma Alice to be my partner next year while I try to do it all with a two year old and an under one year old!

Denise said...

Marsha,
We could have big "canning" parties next year!

grammyjoan said...

Sounds like a fun day to me!