Monday, October 11, 2010

Home School

Most of you realize by now that Joe and I have decided to home school Noah again this year.  It is going well, but takes so much more of my time than I had expected. I get asked all the time why I choose to home school.  We choose home school because of many different reasons, but basically it is just the right decision for us.
It may sound selfish but one reason that I home school is for myself.  I am one of those strange parents that actually likes her children and wants to spend time with them. (Not saying that parents who chose other schooling options do not like their kids)  I watch Noah grow so much during the school day and right now I can't imagine missing that.  I love seeing his excitement the first time he figures something out and I like learning along side him. I love the fact that we are teaching him what he needs academically while sharing with him the faith that is so important to us.
Of course I am not the only factor in this decision.  Another big reason that we decided on home school is Noah himself.  We feel that Noah's educational needs are met better with a one on one approach rather than in a large class.  We are able to focus more on the areas that he needs and watch every day to make sure that he improves.  Which by the way, he is doing very well.
Homeschooling simply fits us right now.  Because we are a self employed family, our schedule is a little different than most and we like the flexibility that homeschooling gives us.  The closest school that we would be comfortable sending Noah is a thirty minute drive from home.  That would mean two hours of travel time every day for us.
This may not be the path that we always take with our children's education, but it is working for us right now.  Noah is scoring well, I am still sane, and the little ones are starting to pick up on things from watching Noah in school.  Now if I could just manage to live on twenty minutes of sleep a night, things would be perfect!

1 comment:

grammyjoan said...

I am so proud of you for doing this, I don't think any of you will ever have any regrets about it, just listen to the Lord. It is very exciting to see Noah growing not only in schoolwork and knowledge but also in heart knowledge of the Lord. You're all doing a wonderful job.