Saturday, December 13, 2008

Ouch! That Hurts!

I had a regular appointment with the baby doctor Thursday morning. Everything looked normal (even my blood sugar levels) so he told me to keep a close eye on things myself but the would not have to see me for two whole weeks. Yeah!!!
Unfortunately, by Thursday afternoon I was in excruciating back pain. I have had back pain from sciatica during most of this pregnancy, but I could tell that this pain was something different. It felt just like it did when I was having back labor with Noah, but without the contractions. I was hurting and scared, so when Joe got home early he loaded everyone up and we went back to the doctor's office.
After waiting for what felt like forever, I finally got to see the doctor, but not the one I usually see. Keep in mind that I was already crying, partly from the pain and partly because I was scared that I was going into labor and that it was too early. The doctor's first words when he walked in were, "So have you decided to have your tubes tied after this baby is born?" This threw me off guard and I muttered something like, "No, I haven't made any decisions yet." He then proceeded to tell me that if I had gotten my tubes tied after having the last baby, that I would not be in pain right then. Now this is all without even looking at me, he is still staring at my chart. I don't remember much else about the visit, I was crying in earnest by then, and fuming over the doctor's comments. Maybe I was just overly emotional that day, but it still irritates me that those were his first words to me.
Apparently after checking me, they determined that I was not in labor but had pulled a muscle in my back. I was given a prescription for pain pills (which I refuse to fill) and for a back brace called a pre-natal cradle. I was also given instructions to stop all lifting. I did not bother to tell the stupid doctor that it is a little hard to not lift when you have a thirteen month old at home, I figured that would only solidify his belief that I should have had my tubes tied. As I was walking out of the office, he said, "By the way, I'm Dr. Ackerman, I don't think you have seen me before." I wanted to tell him that in fact, he helped deliver my last child, but I had not seen him yet during this pregnancy and if I could help it I would never see him again. That is what I wanted to say, but instead I just shook my head and walked away sobbing.
Anyway, Joe has been great. Since work is very slow at this time, (I'll post more on that and the economy later) he has been home taking care of me and the children. I am feeling much better today and hope to be back to my normal routine by tomorrow.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

"Bedside manners" should be a required course for doctors! They can be so rude!

Denise C said...

That was very rude! I can't believe he said that!