Monday, June 20, 2011

Why I Pay The Bills

I have heard that in some marriages the husband and wife sit down together each week, balance the checkbook, and pay the bills.  Ummmm....that is not the way it works in our house!  Basically in our home, Joe makes the money and I spend it.  Well not exactly, but to some looking from the outside in that is the way that it seems.
The truth is that Joe does bring in most of the income into our home, and I send most of it right back out.  While our small business is a joint venture, it is his job to see that we are making money.  My job is to see that we are doing it legally by paying bills, cutting through red tape, and keeping up with ever changing rules and regulations.  We each have our own responsibilities that line up with our individual strengths.  For example, if I were in charge of driving a truck or managing the drivers we would not have any trucks or drivers left.  The trucks would be in a ditch somewhere, and I would never be able to put up with the whining that Joe puts up with from some of our drivers.
So, we stick to what we do best...for the most part.  Sometimes one of us has to handle something that is the other one's responsibility.  That happened this weekend.  Joe had some outside labor come in to help with some mechanic work and they needed to be paid in cash.  I was not aware that we had outside laborers coming in and was not prepared with cash.  I had two sick ones at home so I asked Joe to go to the little corner store and use their ATM to get cash.
Let me say here that while Joe is great at many things, there are two things that he is not good with.  The first is finance and the second is technology.  Combine them together and it is almost always a disaster.  I knew this, but thought that if I gave him explicit instructions that surely an ATM could not be that hard to figure out.

1. Insert and remove card
2. Select business account
3. Select checking
4. Enter your PIN
5. Enter the amount you need
6. Agree to the charge
7. Collect your money and receipt

The ATM at the corner store charges a $2.95 fee for the use of the machine.  On top of that our bank charges $2.00 for using a machine that is not theirs. 
About fifteen minutes after Joe had left to go to the store he called me and was rather upset.  He said, "Do you realize how much it is going to cost to get $200.00 out of this machine?"  I told him that I understood but I thought that $4.95 was not bad considering that we had no other choice.  This is what I can remember of our conversation after that:

Joe: Yeah but that is for each time I use the machine.  Do you know how many times I will have to use it to get to $200.00?
Me: What are you talking about, you only have to use it once!
Joe: No, it says to enter the amount you wish to withdraw in denominations of $20.00.  I can only get $20.00 at a time.  Do you know how many times that is?
Me: AAAAKKKK!  That is not what it means!  How many times have you used it already?
Joe: Once, what do you mean that is not what it means?
Me: It means that the machine only stocks twenty dollar bills, so you can't withdraw an amount that requires tens or fives.
Joe: Oh, never mind then.

So that is why I pay the bills and Joe handles the trucks!

1 comment:

grammyjoan said...

Gotta love these husbands!