Saturday, June 25, 2011

Not So Nice

I remember when Joe and I had been married for just a few months and I had recently found out I was pregnant with Noah.  Mom and I were shopping one day and she made the remark that either marriage or pregnancy agreed with me because I had "mellowed" considerably and was a much nicer person.  I actually agreed with her.  I am not sure if it was the married life or the pregnancy, but I was getting along with people better and was doing a phenomenal job of rolling with the punches.

I am thinking now that it must NOT have been the pregnancy, because this time around things are a whole lot different!  Comments that used to roll right off my back are now met with not so nice responses and the filter between my brain and my mouth has gone on strike.   For example...

Monday afternoon I had to stop at my mother-in-law's house on my way into town to do some shopping.  The kids were behaving like little horrors and I explained their behavior by saying that they were tired and would probably sleep all the way to town.  To this she replied, "Well, I hope you aren't planning on just leaving them in the car while you do your shopping!"  Ummm, yeah...I don't think she will ever say that again.

Then later in the week, Joe and I were discussing truck business and he was telling me about something that he needed done two days before and I was trying to explain that sometimes dealing with the Department of Transportation takes more time than I have and he said, "Well you only work one day a week, I don't see why you can't get it done."  Once again, that is something that I don't think he will ever say to me again.

Those are just two of many examples of the snappy irritable person that I have become. Maybe it is the pregnancy, maybe it is the heat, maybe it is just because I am getting old.  Whatever is causing it, I will be glad when I find my inner niceness again.  Although I am sure that I will not be nearly as glad as my family and friends.

5 comments:

Michelle Bryan said...

I think it is an age thing....mixed with the pregnancy hormones, but mostly age. I have been the same way and have noticed it getting progressively worse over the past few months. The little voice in my head says "oh, no do not go there, just let it go" and somehow it gets completely disregarded.
Maybe you will get your kindness back, but is it really such a bad thing to say what's on your mind? I am told often "why don't you tell us how you really feel!"

**TRACY** said...

For me I had some issues with the fact that everyone kept reminding me that I must not know what caused my condition. It really made me not enjoy my fourth pregnancy as much and I, like you, simply couldn't let some it go. Thankfully, most of my family members have forgiven me. ;) I hope this doesn't dash your hopes, but some of my "inner niceness" is still missing!! I think I lost a little with each pregnancy. It's a good think I stopped at four or NO ONE would be able to put up with me. LOL!

Holly and Tj said...

Maybe its cause you're having a girl this time! :)

grammyjoan said...

I'm with Holly on this one my dear!

Denise said...

I find it very amusing that no one has disagreed with the fact that I am "not so nice" anymore but rather you all have offered reasons for my behavior! LOL
I in no way put up this post looking for platitudes, but the overwhelming agreement with my "condition" is a little disconcerting....