Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama Bin Laden

“I’ve never wished a man dead. But, I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.” – Mark Twain

I'm still not really sure how I feel about the death of Bin Laden.  I for sure do not feel like taking to the streets in celebration. Watching Americans celebrate and cheer last night after the news was announced made me sick to my stomach.  I think that just coming from the recent loss of my Grandmother, I am looking at this from a different perspective than most.

Bin Laden was a horrible, wicked, evil man who for sure deserved death for the crimes that he committed.  However, to rejoice in any death gives me pause.  I am sure that he was loved by someone, somewhere, and for me to gloat and cheer in the face of that tragedy just does not seem even human.

I am a firm believer that sin is sin no matter what kind it is.  God views each transgression against him the same.  Bin Laden's life was riddled with sins against God.  Because of that I feel confident that he went straight from that palace directly into the pits of Hell.  I think that it is important to remember though that but for the grace of God, when I die I would be headed there as well.

How can I rejoice in his suffering when I know that I myself deserve the same punishment that he is receiving? Christ died for Bin Laden's sins just as much as he died for mine.  The difference is that I chose to receive the gift.  That is where I find the only rejoicing in this situation.

By the way, feel free to disagree with me.  I am not an expert on anything...it is just my opinion!

1 comment:

butterbean_girl said...

Very well said. I agree!