Friday, May 20, 2011

Mirror Image

There are some things as a Mother that I find myself saying that I never would have imagined coming out of my mouth before having children.  There are also some things that come out of my children's mouths that I never expected to hear as well.  Take tonight for instance.  We all went out to eat as a family.  As we were sitting around the table waiting on our meals, Jonah looks at Joe and out of nowhere says, "Are you really my Daddy?"
I was sitting there with my mouth hanging open, trying to come up with a response when Joe just as quickly responds, "Well son, that is what your Mom tells me."  Sometimes Joe's sense of humor makes me want to kick him, but that is not the point here.
As I was trying to figure out where the question had come from, I realized that we were sitting directly across from a large mirror.  From where Jonah was sitting he had a direct view of Joe's reflection.  He was trying to figure out if his Daddy was the man sitting beside him or the reflection he saw in front of him.
It gave us a good laugh, but also made me very thankful for the choices that Joe and I have made in our lives.  It sure makes the answer for the "who is my Daddy" question a whole lot simpler than the answer that some mothers have to come up with.

3 comments:

grammyjoan said...

If only we always had time to stop and figure out what brings about a question from the little ones before we have to respond we might be able to do a better job! So good they don't have to wonder 'WHO MY DADDY BE'.

Melissa said...

You ARE the father!

Denise said...

Thank you Maury! LOL