Sunday, February 20, 2011

Scorched

Between our house and the shop we have a little patch of pines that have been there since Joe bought the property.  I love looking out the window every morning and feeling like I truly am waking up in the forest.  I know it sounds corny but it is nice to look out and see trees rather than dirt, asphalt, or another building.  I mean, I would take a beach or mountain view any day, but since I do not have those right outside my back door, I enjoy the woods.
See what I mean?  It is a lovely view (as long as I don't let myself think too long about what types of critters live in, around, and under those trees).  Unfortunately during the course of the fire a few weeks ago some of our trees were left scorched.

The entire row of trees next to the shop drive were scorched and now their needles are turning brown and falling off. Joe says that he does not know if they will survive or not. We will have to wait and see and may end up having to cut that row. I am hoping that they will live because I really do enjoy my view of the trees!

Now just as springtime is getting here and everything else is turning nice and green, when I look up from under my trees all I see is brown...
...when I should be seeing green.

The really interesting part (to me) is that the trees did not start turning until more than a week after the fire.  I woke up one morning and was shocked to see that they were dying.  I called Joe to the window to show him that our trees were dying and he said, "Denise, do you not remember the fire?"  Well of course I remembered the fire, but it had not even touched the trees and I had no idea that just the heat alone from the fire would do that much damage to our trees. 
As I was pondering the fate of our trees another thought came to me.  Just as that fire did damage to our trees that it did not even touch how much so does sin that is just between one person and God do damage to others around whom it seems it has not even touched.  And just as the damage to our trees did not show up until later, how long will it be before the damage from sin rears it's head in those other people?
Anyway, that is my deep thought for the year...

No comments: