Sunday, February 13, 2011

Panic

This post is just a warning for all of my friends and family.  If you are ever in an emergency situation...DO NOT CALL ME!  It is not that I would not want to help out, it is just that I am no good when it comes to keeping a level head in emergency situations. 
Case in point... a few weeks ago when we had the fire, I ran outside to fight the fire not even wearing shoes!  Not a smart move.  Then in climbing in and out of the big trucks in order to move them, I climbed right over the fire extinguishers that we are required by law to keep in the trucks and did not even think to use them.  I'm not sure I would even know how to use them if the time came and I remembered to try.  My hands were shaking so bad at that point I don't know that it would have done much good to try anyway.
My hat goes off to all of the firefighters, paramedics, and other emergency workers out there.  They do a job that I would never be able to do.  I never thought of my job as a mother of three active boys and wife of a crazy truck driver as calm and quiet, but compared to what some do with their days, my life is a piece of cake.  So I think I will be sticking with my day job and leave the adrenaline rushes to everyone else.

2 comments:

butterbean_girl said...

Just remember that when fire rescue people are called to a scene it is their job, not their emergency. That fire was certainly your emergency and you had a right to panic!

Michelle Bryan said...

Denise,
I must agree with Marsha. We know what our tools are and where they are. As she said when we go to a call, it is not our emergency.
I can not tell you the nights I lay away at the station when I was working at Bells (which was 9 months of the past 12) PRAYING that the night would not take me to any of the people I hold dear to me. This includes your family, my family, and all of the people I care about in that community.
When emotions get involved, it alters our way of dealing with situations just like what happened to you the day of the fire. We make mistakes as well. Along as we can look at each situation as a job, or part of the job, it is much easier to stay focused.
I have not yet been in the situation to work on someone that was very close to me. With Debbie's mom, I did not realize who she was until after we were almost done, so the emotion did not show up until late. I do not know how I will react when it finally happens.
In reality, your job terrifies me!
I am convinced God gave us all special talents. I am happy for this otherwise this world would be a very boring place.