Saturday, January 2, 2010

Christmas Recap

I have a confession. Since Noah's birthday is just two weeks after Christmas, I used to gather up some of his Christmas presents and re-wrap them for his birthday. Go ahead and judge me. I don't mind. If Noah was still young enough for me to get away with it I would be doing it this year as well.

Joe and I tried to give our kids a Christmas focused on celebrating Christ, not toys. Obviously we failed to get the memo out to everyone else because my kids ended up with more toys than should ever be allowed. My uncle built them a toy box that is literally the size of my couch and gave it to them on Christmas eve. My first thought (after wondering where I was going to put such a monstrosity) was that my kids would never fill it up....ummm, think again! I knew that Uncle Tj and Aunt Holly had been working tirelessly for months with Toys 4 Tots, I just did not know that it was obviously for my children only!!!

The kids got so many toys that I have no idea who gave what or which child even owns what toy. They got toys of every shape, color and size. We have multiples of several toys, which is great. That way they do not fight over who is playing with what. They got fun toys, educational toys, loud toys, soft toys, and yes irritating toys.

I feel really bad about complaining that my children were blessed with so many toys. However, I do have to complain about one specific toy. I despise the Air Hogs UFO type thingy that Noah got from his Uncle Michael and Aunt Robyn. It is a remote controlled flying saucer that flies with the assistance of a tiny propeller. Seems innocent enough until you are standing at the stove cooking dinner and it hits you in the back of the head, its tiny propeller spinning furiously as it buries itself deep into your hair. As if my hair was not thin enough already, I now have a bald spot right in the back where Joe had to cut out the UFO. The boys (Joe included) thought it was hilarious. Me? Not so much! Michael, if you are reading this...I will get you back!

Thanks to all who gave to our family at Christmas. We have spent this week having nerf gun wars, flying saucers, racing hot wheels cars, playing memory, building towers, throwing balls, trying on new clothes, and reading books. My children are blessed to not only have gotten great gifts but to have spent time with great people who love them. Thanks again for a very Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I would be declaring that an OUTSIDE toy. :)

**TRACY** said...

Too funny! Santa used to bring Corey some of the same toys he'd brought Hannah before they new any better.

butterbean_girl said...

Scott complains about toys our children get too. The bad thing is that he does it right in front of the person who is giving the toy. I just give him the "eye" or stomp his toes if I'm close enough.