Saturday, August 1, 2009

Spanglish

Today I took the boys to my cousin's house for his son's birthday party. They are a bi-lingual family, with the father's first language being English and the mother's first language being Spanish. So here we come together with the father's side of the family speaking mostly English and the mother's side of the family speaking mostly Spanish. Needless to say, it was a very interesting party.
Enough background, let me get to the point!
As I sit here reflecting on the day's events, I am also thinking about the changes coming up as Noah starts school. Noah has always made friends easily and I have no doubt that he will continue to do so when school starts. It amazes me the way that children can put all things aside and decide that they are going to be friends for the day and just concentrate on having the most fun possible. Language barriers, age differences, race, or gender cease to matter. Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all still had such innocence?

No comments: