Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pulling The Plug

In church last week, our Pastor did a children's sermon on Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent.  He obviously did a good job because that was all my children could talk about over Sunday dinner.  Pastor Larry had suggested giving up hard candy...but my kids took it a bit further.  Just the night before, Joe and I had been complaining about the cost of our Dish Network television service.  Our kids (all on their own) decided that they would like to get rid of the television until Easter and give away the money that we would have spent on the service.

Now I will admit right here that I tried to talk them out of this plan.  I utilize the television a lot during school hours when I need to work alone with one child.  I probably use it much more than I should, but because of this...I was the only holdout.  I looked to Joe for backup, since I just knew he would be against missing Swamp People, Axe Men, and Duck Dynasty in the evenings...but he was actually on board with the boys.  So, outnumbered and overruled, I agreed that as a family we would give up television for Lent.

I called this morning and officially pulled the plug on Dish Network.  We are planning on after Easter going to some sort of subscription such as Netflix or Hulu, but we need to see how these next few weeks go first.  The withdrawals have not started yet, and this may surprise me and turn out to be an easy transition...or not.  I think I am going to have to get creative!

No comments: