Tuesday, August 2, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

"If the traditional Rs (reading, writing, and arithmetic) are the basics that we want our children to master academically, then reverence, respect, and responsibility are the three Rs that our children need to master for the sake of their souls and the health of the world." ~Zoe Weil

I think of myself as a respectful person.  I try to teach my children respect.  I believe that the decline of society is directly related to the lack of respect that we show to those around us.

Why is this on my mind?

Today as I was driving home from town, I met a funeral procession.  I have heard that it is just a southern thing, but around here, cars pull over to the side of the road out of respect until the funeral procession has passed.  Today was no exception, and I pulled my van over to the side of the road.  As I sat there in my air conditioned van I used my time sitting on the side of the road to check my e-mails.  I glanced up into my mirror and saw that a gentleman had pulled over behind me, got out of his vehicle in 100 degree weather, removed his cap, and stood facing the procession with his hand over his heart.  His show of respect brought tears to my eyes and shame to my heart.

I may consider myself a respectful person, but obviously I have a long way to go.  I fear that I have fallen short of teaching my children the art of respect.  In my home I want to teach that people deserve respect not because of what they have or have not done, but simply because they are children of God and God has called us to love them.  For how can you truly love someone without respect?

1 comment:

butterbean_girl said...

Preach it sista'. Those little ones will be all grown up and taking over the world before we know it. What an awesome responsibilty we have to prepare them for what is to come.